Saturday, March 26, 2011

깝 - Kkap/Kkab

Kkab- adj. "comes from the phrase 'kkab chi neun' which means you are so energetic that you are almost annoying. It can also mean that you are overdoing and overreacting." (according to the urban dictionary)
n. a kkab action, most commonly applied to dancing.


In case you can't recognize the Hangul in the title, this is not Chinese or Japanese. It is Korean. Yes, the writing systems are different.
Anyway, a while ago I discovered a Korean singer by the name of Jo Kwon, who is known in Korean pop culture as the King of Kkab. At the time, I was too lazy to find out why, but last night I had nothing better to do and so Googled "jo kwon kkab". [<<note: this is a great solution for boredom, but do not attempt if you feel conscientious about wasting time.]


Lo and behold, I discovered that the title is not an empty one. Therefore, allow me to introduce to you the wonders of kkab, first and primarily through the one and only Jo Kwon, who is truly the King of Kkab. 
Well, the king of recorded kkab, anyway. 


(Jo Kwon's part ends at around 1:07)
Kkab dancing commonly involves reinterpreting an already well-known dance into the kkab version of that dance. Here, Jo Kwon does exactly that. In the first video you see Taeyeon from Girls' Generation doing her own dance (Gee) the right way...while Jo Kwon, behind her, mutilates it into kkab. The second video shows Jo Kwon kkab-erizing After School's Bang!. You may want to watch at least a bit of the original versions first, as it helps to appreciate how much the dance is being exaggerated. 


Jo Kwon does it again, this time with the Wonder Girls' Tell Me, but we also get to see him perform his audition dance...yes, that skinny little kid in the middle of the clip is Jo Kwon at age 13. 






Though Jo Kwon is rightly called the king, others are quite capable of kkab, too. In fact, Key was good enough that he was challenged to a dance-off:
   
(Obviously you need good hip control to kkab dance the most effectively.)






But do not be deceived! The world of kkab is not restricted to boys. To demonstrate my point, meet Min.


 

The first video begins with Yuri (also from Girls' Generation) demonstrating the proper dance to the chorus of Hoot. Then Min takes over with her own rendition and from her death-glare when she's doing the bow-and-arrow part I deduce that she is seriously out to kill me. 

It's great, isn't it? I, for one, am a big fan of dance kkab now. 
I wish I could do it myself, but as I regularly walk into walls without meaning to and lose my balance while sitting on the floor, I doubt my ability to even attempt dancing. 
I'll just have to stick with being hyper all the time.

Oh, one last parting gift:

 

It's a little bizarre but...I drooled. 




 

No comments: